Visualization is a process of focusing on a single direction and having a mental picture of your thoughts about a particular thing. Usually, visualization and meditation counteract each other as the former is focusing on something specific and imagining the outcome turning into reality and the latter is opinions and thoughts coming and going from the mind and relaxing about everything. So, visualization is seen as motivation and helps to relieve anxiety and stress.
How To Do Visualisation Exercise?
Thus, visualization techniques are important as it serves as a source of confidence and anxiety reduction. Visualization mixed with meditation is the best possible way to focus your mind in one direction in a relaxed and calm state. There are many different kinds of visualization techniques that help in achieving your goals.
Following are the visualization techniques that you can practice in your personal and professional life to get positive and better results.
- Imagery guidance
This particular technique helps in visualizing positive images in the mind and thus helps in relaxation from anxiety and stress or fear of your own. By performing this technique, you will feel more peace and also boost your mood before bed.
Now to perform this visualization technique, do the following steps:
- Sit or lie down in a comfortable position as you like.
- Close your eyes and breath in a relaxed way.
- Visualize a place where you feel calm and composed.
- Now, add details to your imaginary view with all your senses.
- As you visualize deeper, you will feel calmer.
- Continue to breathe in the same rhythm and experience the scene you have created in your mind.
- As you inhale, peace and harmony are going inside your body and as you exhale, all the tension and exhaustion are leaving your body. Visualize this with every inhale and exhale.
- Now, whenever you are ready, leave your visual image. You will feel more peaceful and relaxed as compared to before the exercise.
2. Color breathing
Color breathing technique helps in improving your mood and helping with relieving stress. To start this exercise, think of something that you want to have within you, it can be either emotion or just a positive atmosphere or vibes. Now, assign this to a color.
Choose a color that soothes your mind. If you don’t have much time for full meditation, then you can do color breathing anytime.
- Sit comfortably or lie down as you like.
- Take a calm, deep breath and close your eyes.
- Now, visualize the color which you have chosen.
- Hold that color in your thoughts while breathing calmly and think about what it represents in yourself.
- Imagine the color washing your entire body from fingertips to toes as you inhale and filling your body as you continue breathing.
- While you exhale, drain out the unwanted emotion and replace them with your chosen color.
- Continue the visualization and you will feel lighter within one or two minutes.
3. Progressive muscle relaxation
This visualization technique helps in easing stiff muscles which occur because of stress and anxiety. The technique thus improves mood and helps to get better sleep by relieving physical and emotional tension by relaxing muscles. This technique helps in increasing awareness about your body’s physical pain and stiffness.
- Lie in a comfortable position on your back on a firm surface like a carpet or yoga mat.
- Concentrate on your breathing.
- Now, start tensing and relaxing your muscles, this will help you to recognize which muscles are not causing any trouble.
- Work through your body’s muscles group from head to toes or vice versa.
- As you slowly inhale, tense a particular group of muscles and hold it for about five seconds. Make sure not to tense much tightly as it may cause pain later.
- Now, relax all those muscles at once as you exhale.
- Visualize this tension leaving your body as you breathe.
- Continue with steady and slow breathing, although rest for 10 seconds between each muscle group.
- Process with the next group of muscles and continue the same process.
4. Compassion meditation
Compassion meditation is also called loving-kindness meditation as it helps to foster your feelings of love and kindness for yourself and others. This technique helps to let go of harsh feelings for anyone.
- Close your eyes and sit in a relaxed and comfortable position.
- Until you find a natural rhythm in your breathing, inhale and exhale slowly and just focus on your breathing pattern.
- Visualize a person, either your loved ones or pets and hold their image in your thoughts.
- Now, think about that specific person who can vary deeply from love to animosity. You can also experience neutral or no feelings at all.
- The challenges and pain they go through in their lives are different, try to imagine their difficulties.
- Focus on your feelings which you want to give, either peace, love, happiness, or joy.
- Now, picturize these feelings in the form of a golden light which spreads in your heart to theirs.
- Now repeat a mantra that helps in verbalizing your feelings towards them like, “May you find happiness and peace.”
- Now, continue repeating this mantra. As you exhale, feel the golden light leaving your body, cleansing your aura and giving you inner peace.
- Continue this technique for one to three minutes. After performing the exercise, you will feel light-heartedness and warmth in your body.
These visualization techniques help in directing your mind in a particular direction of your choice. Make sure to be consistent with these practices for feeling more natural.